PUBLIC DISPLAY OF APPLICATION DOSSIER FOR CONFINED FIELD TRIAL OF MAIZE (MON 89034 & MON 87460) GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOR DROUGHT TOLERANCE AND STEM BORER INSECT PEST RESISTANCE.
PUBLIC DISPLAY OF APPLICATION DOSSIER FOR CONFINED FIELD TRIAL OF MAIZE (MON 89034 & MON 87460) GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOR DROUGHT TOLERANCE AND STEM BORER INSECT PEST RESISTANCE
In accordance with the National Biosafety Management Agency Act, 2015, requiring public display of any Biosafety application, for permit to intentionally release genetically modified organisms (GMOs), for comments, the National Biosafety Management Agency (NBMA) hereby announces a twenty-one (21) working day display (public notice) of an application dossier for the confined field trial (CFT) of genetically modified maize. The display, with effect from 4th October, 2019 to 25th October, 2019, is to enable the public make input that would facilitate informed decision on the application.
2. Description of the proposed CFT
The confined field trial is for the purpose of:
- Testing the efficacy of maize event MON 89034 which produces Cry1A.105, a modified Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) Cry1A protein and Cry2Ab2, a Bt (subsp.kurstaki) protein, both of which are active against lepidopteran insect pests.
- Testing the efficacy of maize event MON 87460 containing a cold shock protein gene, cspB that confers drought tolerance.
3. Display Centers are:
- National Biosafety Management Agency, Umaru Musa Yar’adua Way, Abuja.
- National Roots Crop Research Institute, Umudike, Abia State.
- National Cereal Research Institute, Badeggi, Niger State.
- Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN) Ibadan, Oyo State.
- Website of the National Biosafety Management Agency, www.nbma.gov.ng
4. Display duration
Date: 4th October, 2019 – 25th October, 2019.
Time: 8:00am – 4:00 pm
ALL COMMENTS SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO THE DIRECTOR GENERAL, NATIONAL BIOSAFETY MANAGEMENT AGENCY, NATIONAL PARKS SEVICES UMARU MUSA YAR’ADUA EXPRESSWAY, AIRPORT ROAD, ABUJA.
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Director General/ Chief Executive Officer NBMA