PUBLIC DISPLAY OF APPLICATION DOSSIER FOR CONFINED FIELD TRIAL (EFFICACY TESTING OF Cry2Ab GENE COWPEA)
In accordance with the National Biosafety Management Agency Act 2015, requiring public display of any biosafety application, for permit to intentionally release genetically modified organisms (GMOs), for comments, the National Biosafety Management Agency (NBMA) hereby announces a twenty-one (21) day display of an application dossier by Institute for Agricultural Research, Zaria, Kaduna State for confined field trial (CFT) of genetically modified Cowpea(Efficacy Testing of Cry2Ab Gene Cowpea). The display, with effect from 15th August – 6th September, 2018, is to enable the public to make input that would facilitate informed decision on the application.
- Description of the proposed CFT
The purpose of the confined field trial is:
- To test Cowpea, Vigna unguiculata (L) Walp plants that have been genetically modified for resistance against a serious insect of cowpea in Africa, Maruca vitrata (Efficacy Testing of Cry2Ab Gene Cowpea)
- Display centres are:
- National Biosafety Management Agency, Airport road, Abuja.
- National Biotechnology Development Agency, Abuja.
- National Cereals Research Institute, Badeggi.
- National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike
- Website of the National Biosafety Management Agency; nbma.gov.ng
- Display duration
Date: 15th August, 2018 – 6th September, 2018
Time: 8:00am – 4:00pm
ALL COMMENTS SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO THE OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR GENERAL, NATIONAL BIOSAFETY MANAGEMENT AGENCY ON OR BEFORE 6th September, 2018
Director-General/ Chief Executive Officer NBMA