PUBLIC DISPLAY OF APPLICATION DOSSIER FOR CONFINED FIELD TRIAL (CFT) OF CASSAVA GENETICALLY MODIFIED TO EXPRESS ELEVATED LEVELS OF IRON & ZINC IN THE STORAGE ROOTS AND HIGH RESISTANCE TO CASSAVA BROWN STREAK DISEASE (CBSD)
In accordance with the National Biosafety Management Agency Act 2015, requiring public display of any biosafety application, for permit to intentionally release genetically modified organisms (GMOs), for comments, the National Biosafety Management Agency (NBMA) hereby announces a twenty-one (21) day public notice on the display of an application dossier by National Root Crops Research Institute (NRCRI), Umudike, Abia State for the Confined Field Trial of Genetically Modified cassava. The display, with effect from 31st May, 2019 to 22nd June, 2019, is to enable the public to make input that would facilitate an informed decision on the application.
- Description of the Proposed CFT:
The confined field trial is for the purpose of exposing the Genetically Modified cassava to the natural environment to confirm the efficacy of the modification to express;
- Elevated level of Iron & Zinc in the storage roots and
- High resistance to Cassava Brown Streak Disease (CBSD)
- Display centres are:
- Department of Biosafety Enforcement and Operations,
National Biosafety Management Agency, Airport road, Abuja.
- Office of the Executive Director, Forest Research Institute of Nigeria, Ibadan, Oyo State
- Office of the Executive Director, Institute for Agricultural Research, Zaria, Kaduna State
- National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike, Abia State
- Website of the National Biosafety Management Agency; nbma.gov.ng
- Display duration
Date: 31st May, 2019 to 22nd June, 2019
Time: 8:00am – 4:00pm
ALL COMMENTS SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO THE OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL/CEO, NATIONAL BIOSAFETY MANAGEMENT AGENCY, AIRPORT ROAD, ABUJA ON OR BEFORE 22ND OF JUNE, 2019.
Director-General/ Chief Executive Officer NBMA